The clock is ticking down to my return to work. I’m neither anticipating it nor dreading it. I’ll definitely miss sleeping the extra hour or two in the morning after being up several times at night feeding the baby. I’ll be glad to be in the thick of things again at work, but I’ll miss the time I spent meal planning and cooking, eating dinner at 6 p.m. instead of 7 or 8. I thought I would be bored during this time, but the hours in the day fly by, caught in the rhythm of feedings, playing, naps and getting things done around the house.
Once I go back, I know it’s going to be tough to manage my time and get all the things done I want to do, like cooking and cleaning and organizing and being available for friends. I already feel stretched at times, so I know dedicating 40 hours a week away from home is going to make it that much tougher.
I’m certain I’m going to miss my little guy. He is starting to get more fun. He coos and smiles and reacts when he sees us. I’m going to miss being with him every minute of the day and knowing his every mood and need just by being around him. It’s going to require a lot of communication between me and the baby sitters. I hope they take good care of him (it’s the college student I’m worried about) and that we can tighten our belts enough financially to make it work.
I’ve got two weeks left. Here’s what I hope to accomplish before I’m a slave to my desk again:
- Mail birth announcements (I ordered them; I’m just waiting for them to come in the mail. Where are they, http://www.overnightprints.com?)
- Finish an iphoto baby book for the little guy. I started it shortly after he was born, did a bunch of work on it, and then iphoto crashed and I lost everything. After that I was unmotivated for a long time.
- Finish Christmas shopping. I’m almost done; I just need one or two things to check off my list.
- Make some meals for my sweet neighbor who just had a baby.
- Make some meals for my freezer to make the weeks back at work a little simpler.
- Plan/pack for our trip to Holland. Ahh! Which is happening about two weeks after I go back to work…
- Get in some playdates and walks with friends before I’m not free during the day anymore.
- Do some baking for Christmas. I want to have a bunch of Christmas cookies on hand.
- Plan a Christmas get-together for our neighbors at our house. And actually have it.
- Do some fun baking, like this pie crust I’ve been wanting to try.
I’m sure there are more things swimming around in my brain, but these are the ones floating to the top at the moment.