1. Pick the perfect spot.
In this case, the garden of the Hotel Nacional.
2. Find a friendly bartender.
3. Clean two glasses.
4. Select fresh mint.
5. Add pure Cuban cane sugar.
6. Add lime juice.
7. Using a wooden pestle, crush sugar, lime and mint in a clockwise motion.
Just kidding about the clockwise. Just smash the sweet, tangy elements together.
8. Add ice.
9. A splash of this…
10. Then fill to the brim with sparkling water.
11. Stir, then tip the bartender.
12. Sit. Breathe in, breathe out. Notice the wind lifting your hair. Tip your face toward the sun.
13. Sip, swallow, relish.
Repeat steps 12 and 13 as needed.
You’ll be glad you did.